· 2 tablespoons butter
· 1 medium onion diced
· 6 cups water
· 6 teaspoons beef bouillon (or 6 beef bouillon cubes)
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1/2 cup flour
· 3 cups fat free half & half (or regular)
· 6 cups chopped broccoli florets
· 1 teaspoon salt (I started out with this amount then added to taste)
· 1 teaspoon white pepper
· 4 cups mild cheddar cheese
In your pot sauté 2 tablespoons butter and onions over medium heat until onions are translucent (I use the pot I am going to use for the soup and put the onions on a paper plate to save dishes). Remove from heat and set aside. In a sauce pan bring water to a boil, add beef bouillon and whisk until combined. Remove from heat and set aside. In your pot melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Slowly whisk in flour until mixture
1. clumps up or forms a "ball". Add beef bouillon/water mixture and stir to combine. Slowly whisk in half & half and continue to stir until smooth. (If large lumps remain, mash them out with a rubber spatula)
2. Add broccoli florets and onions and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is tender and easily pierced with a fork. Stir in salt, white pepper, and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Serve hot and top with additional cheese if desired.
I prefer my soup smoother so before I add the cheese I put the soup in the blender then put it back in the pot and added the cheese.